Typical time needed : 2 to 4 hours
Essential skills :
An outstanding natural communicator (written and verbal)
You will be highly organised with an eye for detail and seek to make ongoing improvements in your everyday work including listening back to shows and receiving feedback
Confidence, enthusiasm and the skills to present live on air
Regular, weekly commitment
Adhere to volunteer compliance, policies and procedures and codes of conduct
Ideally you’d have these skills but we can train you :
Understanding of radio presentation and playout systems
Empathy with our target audience
Experience in broadcasting, radio or media is not required for this role.
Location : At home
Available vacancies? : No current vacancies
Being a radio presenter might seem daunting but don’t worry; we will provide training, coaching, reassurance and support. What you really need is a passion for the people and places in our area, and the ability to express yourself and a willingness to learn. We want local people who want to be part of a great community and volunteer team to join us.
You will be one of the voices on 92.6FM Radio Verulam, with a friendly and engaging attitude to entertain and inform our listeners. You will present a daytime programme which will carry music determined by our music policy. We are not recruiting for presentation of genre-specific music programmes.
- You will create engaging content and provide weather, traffic and travel and news updates to listeners in St Albans and a 10-mile radius
- You will be talking to a wide range of listeners, so your content needs to be fun, fresh and appealing
- You will present a programme during daytime hours (0600 to 1900)
- You will prepare relevant linking material which engages our local audience to insert into our scheduled music log, give local travel and weather updates and present in an entertaining and warm way
- Create programme reads, trail programmes, audio clip interviews and share through social media
- Coordinate, organise and manage your everyday tasks to maintain the smooth running of the programme – Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Ensure through the delivery of your content, Radio Verulam remains an accessible, inclusive and diverse station representative of the communities the station serves
At present, due to Covid, we are operating remotely and you will be creating the programmes using our software but will need a Windows PC or laptop. Training will take place over Zoom or similar and we will support you in getting used to how to present, both in terms of station style and technical capabilities.
About Radio Verulam:
Radio Verulam is the local, community radio station for St Albans and surrounds, broadcasting 24 hours a day on 92.6FM and online. It is run as a, not for profit company and is predominantly volunteer-led, with around 90 current volunteers providing everything a radio station needs to be on the air, including creating and broadcasting original content which covers various genres of music, speech, arts, current affairs, topical discussion, and news.
Our mission is: To enhance the daily lives of all sections of the community in our area by providing news, information and entertainment.
Our vision is: To become a widely known and listened to local radio station and internet presence, both of which are recognised within and outside the local community as a professional, engaging and useful service and to form a significant part of the fabric of life in the area, embraced by businesses and individuals.