About Radio Verulam:
Radio Verulam is the local, community radio station for St Albans and surrounds, broadcasting 24 hours a day on 92.6FM and online. It is run as a, not for profit company and is predominantly volunteer-led, with around 90 current volunteers providing everything a radio station needs to be on the air, including creating and broadcasting original content which covers various genres of music, speech, arts, current affairs, topical discussion, and news.
Our mission is: To enhance the daily lives of all sections of the community in our area by providing news, information and entertainment.
Our vision is: To become a widely known and listened to local radio station and internet presence, both of which are recognised within and outside the local community as a professional, engaging and useful service and to form a significant part of the fabric of life in the area, embraced by businesses and individuals.
Overview of a producer: To shape the programmes on 92.6FM Radio Verulam in a creative way, resulting in unique, engaging radio
- Responsible for making shows with entertainment and information for our community
- You will be talking to a wide range of listeners, so your content needs to be fun, fresh and appealing
- Programmes could be general daytime ‘magazine’-style music shows, or ‘specialist’ programmes that deal with a particular area of interest – such as sport, parenting, business or the environment
- You will prepare relevant linking material which engages our local audience to insert into our scheduled music log, give local travel and weather updates for presenters in an entertaining and warm way
- Research and prepare material for shows, including arranging guests and interviews
- Come up with interesting ideas for features
- Create a running order for the programme
- Work with presenters at the time of broadcast
- Coordinate, organise and manage your everyday tasks to maintain the smooth running of the programme.
- Create programme reads, trail programmes, audio clip interviews and share through social media – Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Ensure through the delivery of your content, Radio Verulam remains an accessible, inclusive and diverse station representative of the communities the station serves
- Monitor a range of local sources for breaking/developing/upcoming stories
- Check all stories for accuracy and legal compliance
- Work closely with other volunteers – other reporters, producers, presenters and interview coordinators – on programmes